The Dog Watcher

The Student News Site of Alhambra High School

The Dog Watcher

The Dog Watcher

The Great Mathematician, Terelyn Tom

No matter what level of math you are in, whether it’s Geometry, Algebra 2, or Calculus AB, Mrs.Tom has taught it, Mrs.Tom has accomplished a lot of things during her time at Alhambra. Overlooking the loads of homework she assigns, Mrs.Tom is a very down-to-earth person who will listen to whatever you say. I interviewed Mrs. Tom to learn more about her and her personal stories. 

Q: how long have you been teaching at Alhambra?

A: I have been here for 23 years.

Q: What different courses have you taught? 

A: I have taught Algebra 1a, 1b, Pre Algebra, Support, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre Calculus, Calculus, Calculus AB, so 9.

Q: What is your favorite memory of this year so far?

A: recently? I think it is getting that whole teacher appreciation thing, saying I am the best teacher they have had. It is always nice to hear. You get a lot of warm fuzzy moments about things, I like it when people confide in me for the first time and stuff because you know you earned that trust with them. I like it when they laugh too its always nice too.

Q: What’s one of your most emotional moments? 

A: One of my most teary moments was like when one of my students was very sad because he was having relationship problems and it was noticeable, so I tell him something to help and he got teary eyed. Those moments are always sweet. 

Q: What is one of the most prestigious universities you have seen one of your students go to? 

A: It was Yale. She got in while she was my TA, it was during COVID time so I was able to bond with her. She was a nice student, she said that my class was the only class she turned her camera on for and she would always show up to my tutoring. The next year she had a choice of who to TA for and she chose me. It was very flattering. When she got into Yale she came back, she gave me a shirt, and I was the first person she called to let me know. She got a free ride! What a freaking nerd! She still calls me to this day, its just very flattering. 

Q: Why do you choose to keep your doors open during lunch? 

A: For the kids, beforehand the commons area didn’t have any tables outside and there was nowhere to sit. Either you sit in the cold or you don’t sit. So I opened up my classroom. One year I had all Algebra 1 classes and the students were really bad I couldn’t even take my eyes off them but they liked me and they came in during lunch. They did some dumb stuff but it always worked and they were always kind to me. This one kid stood on the top of the AC and yelling at him did not work so I walked over and put my hands out to hug him and sure enough that worked and he never did it anymore.