The Dog Watcher

The Student News Site of Alhambra High School

The Dog Watcher

The Dog Watcher

Behind the Curtain

Mr. Wiener is our drama teacher here at Alhambra. He has many ways of encouraging others, creating a safe and comfortable space for students. He gives everyone a chance to express themselves in their own unique way. There are so many happy faces to be around when in a drama class or musical theater. He directs the plays and musicals that are performed on our stage. These classes hold many memories full of laughter, new chances taken, and making new friends. The community that Mr.Wiener has built for students is immaculate and fun. He makes sure that students know that they can be themselves and don’t have to feel like they are being judged. He says “Overcome any fears you have that are holding you back from the life you desire.” Drama class is a place to do that, also known as “Confidence Class”. He really does make a difference in students’ confidence. 

Q: What is your favorite part about working as a theater teacher?

A: My favorite part about being a theater teacher is watching my students grow in their confidence and skills as the year progresses. They conquer their stage fright and build their courage. They develop a “Yes Attitude” about class, and about life. 

Q: When directing a musical or play, what is one thing that you hope your students take away from that experience?

A: I hope the students take away life memories of performing a great show with fellow actors who will remain life-long friends.

Q: What inspired you to become a theater teacher?
A: I loved the stage ever since I was a little kid, so I majored in Theater (along with English) in college. Being a drama teacher was a way for me to be on stage every day, while also sharing my enthusiasm and love of theater with students.

Q: Why did you decide to do theater when you were in high school?
A: I saw “Hello Dolly!” in a professional theater when I was about ten years old, and couldn’t wait to get to high school where I could take drama classes and audition for shows.

Q: If you could tell your past self one thing that you know now what would it be?
A: Never let fear control your life. Say Yes to life opportunities

Q: What actors really inspired you to become an actor yourself?
A: I grew up in Upstate New York, so we took school field trips to New York City to see Broadway shows. I loved seeing Kevin Kline in “Pirates of Penzance”, his broad and funny style of acting. Several years later I got the opportunity to play the same role in Pirates. (I may have borrowed some of his ideas.)