The Dog Watcher

The Student News Site of Alhambra High School

The Dog Watcher

The Dog Watcher

Is it Worth it to Work While Still Attending High School?

Often high school students will apply for jobs and start working as a way to earn money. Whether the drive to work comes from just wanting some spending money or to save and invest, is having a job during high school truly worth it? 

When asked about managing a job, school, and a social life, Haiden O’Hern says, “Time management is very important. Knowing what to do when and how to stay on task is incredibly useful.” Though it may be difficult to find the balance to  make working and school work hand in hand. It may be found beneficial for students who choose to make that decision. 

Students may all have their own reasons for working. Possible reasons being saving for life after high school, money to invest in their future, or even just some fun spending money. All these could be motivators to getting a job and working. But is it really worth it? 

According to College Board, they say that having a part-time job during high school years can offer some independence and give training and experience. These experiences can be beneficial for the transition from high school to adulthood. Already experiencing that small amount of independence can truly be beneficial when one faces entirely independent freedom.

It might be argued by some people that high school is short and you don’t want to miss it. Having a job takes time out of one’s schedule leaving less time for the “high school experience”. Though that doesn’t mean there will be no fun experiences left, being able to find the balance between the two worlds is difficult but very well doable. So to answer the question of whether or not having a job in high school, the true answer differs from person to person. It is manageable, but at what cost?